Philosophi Salt Spa
Dry Salt Therapy (one form of “halotherapy”) is a natural and holistic relaxation method that many swear by for supporting the respiratory system and optimizing breath function, healing skin conditions, promoting sounder sleep, and improving overall wellness.
How does it work?
Salt is ground into tiny particles by a machine called a halogenerator, and then aerated into the treatment area. Terms vary, but whether the room is called a salt spa, saltroom, a salt cave, or a salt chamber, the process is generally the same.
What makes the halotherapy room at Philosophi a “spa“?
Our salt spa is enhanced with nearly 1,000 pounds of salts to create a soothing spa aesthetic. In addition to creating a warm, calming, glow, beautiful pink Himalayan salt crystal bricks are said to generate relaxing negative ions to counter the agitating positive ions we’re bombarded with from electronic equipment. The California Sea Salt on the floor, feels wonderful under the (sock covered) feet, and children love playing in it!
Why should I go?
At a minimum, the serene feel of Philosophi salt spa is likely improve your overall mental and emotional health, since it is nearly impossible to remain tense or stressed in the peaceful environment. Some claim relief from symptoms of allergies, asthma, COPD, snoring, sleep apnea, sinusitis, bronchitis, colds, flus, skin conditions, arthritis, and so much more. Some have called it “like a toothbrush for the lungs and skin”. While relaxation is the only formal claim we make, here are some of the benefits that our staff, friends and clients have been seeing so far:
- One staff member says her daughters allergies seem to be GONE in two sessions
- “The arthritis in my big toe is gone!” -ER
- A client who had lost her sense of smell had one session and her sense of smell returned.
- “2 sessions and my eczema is gone” – DK
- A client came out raving because she had not coughed without pain for six months (following a bout of pneumonia) and could now cough and breathe easily
- “The stuffiness and congestion from my cold were gone by the time my session was over” -AD
- A staff member even swears it cured her hangover.
- “This was the only salt spa I could find in Columbus, OH. When I saw the small size, I was skeptical, but it was clean, functional, attractive, and the salon has great service” -MB
What to expect
The spa itself is quite small (like many salt caves), and can range in temperature, so layering is a great idea. Clothing is worn in the salt spa (unless removal is necessary for a spa service). Please note that clothing will have a layer of salt dust (which can generally be brushed or washed off after the session), so dress accordingly. No food or drink is permitted, and we ask that you not bring any items of value. Should you need to store personal items away from salt aerosol, there are covered bins in the spa. If you would like to use electronic devices (at your own risk since salt is highly corrosive and likely to damage any electronic device), please schedule a couple’s session or a private session.
Most people choose to enjoy a seating in a community session. Guests are encouraged to arrive 10 minutes before the hour for a Community session, and are escorted into the salt spa by 10-minutes after the hour. Once the door is closed after the seating, the door is only opened in case of emergency. Latecomers will be offered a seat in the next available session. There is an intake form that takes a few minutes to fill out, so the recommended arrival time allows time to fill out paperwork, use the facilities, and enjoy a few minutes of the spa before all guests are seated. Due to our guests with chemical sensitivities, we ask that you do not wear fragrances into the salt spa.
Conditions for community sessions are fixed. If you prefer to adjust factors like music, lighting, temperature, seating (oversize chairs are available) and so forth, please book a private session ($59), a couples session ($44 per person), or a room rental ($99).
Community sessions are $39 per person for a 45-minute session, and are set up with:
· Standard-sized zero gravity chairs
· Calming sounds
· No space heater (please wear layers)
· Overhead lights off / LED ambiance lighting on (bring a book light if you plan to read)
· Electronic devices turned off and placed in a covered trunk for protection (it is recommended to bring a purse, case, or baggie to place electronics in before depositing in the trunk).
While we do have special pricing for children 16-and-under ($10 off the adult rate), community sessions are only open to children 10 and over who are able to remain quiet for a 45-minute session. For younger children (and/or older children who prefer to play in the salt), consider adding a child to a Couple’s Session ($9), making the child the second in a Couple’s Session ($24), or a Spa Room Rental for the whole family ($99). Most prefer a Max of 2 adults and three children, but use your discretion! Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Residual Odor: Smokers and Perfumes
Salt Spas vary widely in their policies regarding access to smokers due to the concern of “third hand smoke”. Some salt spas forbid smokers entirely. This is understandable since some guests may have respiratory issues like Asthma, COPD, or Cystic Fibrosis, and even the presence of exhaled smoke, (or the chemicals therein) may trigger an attack or a reaction. Much of this applies to perfumes and body sprays as well.
This is also sad, as many smokers claim to experience tremendous relief from the discomfort caused by smoking. For that reasons, many spas find ways to allow smokers to use the salt facility. At Philosophi Salt Spa, we ask the following:
Please wear clothing that has been washed since you last smoked or sprayed perfume.
Please make sure hair has been shampooed since your last cigarette (we can help with that in our salon if you came unprepared!)
Use the spa only if you have been cigarette-free for more than 72 hours.
Couple’s Sessions, Private Sessions, or Room Rental:
Use the spa before your first cigarette of the day, (i.e. your last cigarette was the previous night before bed).
Do not use the salt spa if you are in the acute or contagious stage of any illness, if you have smoked outside of the guidelines listed above, have an infection accompanied by fever, are intoxicated, or if you have claustrophobia.
Consult your doctor before using the Salt Spa if you have one of the listed conditions below:
Low blood pressure * Acute stage of respiratory diseases * Chronic obstructive lung diseases with the 3rd stage of chronic lung insufficiency * Cardiac insufficiency * Bleeding – open wounds * Spitting or Expiration of blood * Hypertension in IIB stage * Hyperthyroidism * Tuberculosis * Chronic Kidney Disease * All internal diseases of decompensation * Pregnancy
Salt Spa Pricing
Our Clintonville location serves the Greater Columbus Area.
A few minutes from Grandview, Upper Arlington, Downtown, Campus, and Worthington.
15 to 30 minutes from most locations in Bexley, Hilliard, Polaris, Lewis Center, New Albany, Muirfield, Powell , Canal Winchester, Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsberg, Grove City, Gahanna, Galloway,
And less than an hour from most locations in Circleville, Delaware, Hebron, Pataskala, Buckeye Lake, Mount Vernon, Heath, Sunbury, Johnstown, Galena
Salt Spa Terms of Service and Etiquette
- All Salt Spa clients must fill out an intake form and receive an orientation prior to attending their first salt therapy session.
- All Sessions: Please wear clothing that has been washed since you last smoked in it. Please make sure hair has been shampooed since your last cigarette (we can help with that in our salon if you came unprepared.)
- Community Sessions: Use the spa only if you have been cigarette-free for more than 72 hours.
Couple’s Sessions, Private Sessions, or Room Rental: Use the spa before your first cigarette of the day (i.e. your last cigarette was the previous night before bed.)
- You are responsible for your personal items. We do have trunks in the salt spa, but they are shared and do not lock. We suggest that you leave all personal items in your car as we will not be responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items.
- Please arrive 10-20 minutes prior to your session start time to prepare (use restroom, store belongings, adjust clothing and footwear, find reading materials, secure your spa seat, etc.).
- Community sessions begin promptly on the hour. Once a session has begun, we discourage clients from entering the salt spas so as not to disturb seated clients. Late comers will be booked in the next available session.
- Use of the Salt Spa must be avoided during the acute or contagious phase of any illness, including colds, flu, infections with a fever, acute active tuberculosis, cardiac insufficiency, COPD in 3rd stage, spitting of blood, alcohol or drug intoxication, unstable or uncontrolled hypertension and acute stages of respiratory diseases.
- Socks are required in the salt spa at all times. No shoes or bare feet are allowed! Clean socks are available for a modest rental charge.
- You may want to bring the following items: book, magazine (no perfumed ads), tissues, ear plugs, small head pillow, light blanket, or a small towel to cough into if needed.
- In order to maintain a spa environment we suggest that you use your time in the spa to read, sleep or meditate. While chatting in a community session is discouraged, a “symphony of sounds” coming from other clients during salt therapy sessions. Please do your best to accept and associate these sounds as signs of healing! Feel free to bring earplugs if you are sensitive to noises.
In Consideration of Others
- Unless there is an emergency, please do not leave the salt spa while a session is in progress.
- Do not use any perfumes, lotions, or any kinds of fragrances when you attend a session.
- If you experience excessive coughing, kindly cough into a tissue (provided) to help muffle the sound.
- If you are prone to excessive snoring, we encourage you to sit more upright, try to stay awake, and take deeper breaths during your treatments. This will help to reduce snoring.
- Please refrain from shuffling papers while in a community session.
- Please let us know as soon as possible if you are unable to make it to a scheduled salt therapy session.
- Children must be at least 10 years old (and able to remain quiet for the 45-minute session to participate in a community session).
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult to participate in a community session.
- Children under 10 are not permitted in community sessions, and must be accompanied by an adult for any private, group or rental sessions.
- Please play with the salt, but do not throw it. Please clean up toys/books at the end of your session.